NPP Manifesto Highlights (Promises) - On Local Government
The NPP government has already made waves in local government with Nana Akufo-Addo revoking the appointment of all Metropolitan, Municipal and District Chief Executives (MMDCEs) only 4 days after being sworn into office. More specific promises mentioned in the manifesto include:
1. Oversee the direct election of Metropolitan, Municipal and District Chief Executives (MMDCEs) within 24 months of election into office, to coincide with the next District Assembly elections in 2019.
2. Strengthen the sub-structures of MMDAs through capacity building and adequate resource allocation.
3. Strengthen the role of traditional authorities within the local government system
4. Improve allowances paid to assembly members.
5. Upgrade the Tamale campus of Institute of Local Government Service (ILGS) into a modern state-of the-art institute to train local government practitioners and staff in northern Ghana.
6. Decentralizing and equipping the Land Valuation Board (LVB) to provide direct technical support on property valuation to MMDAs for enhanced revenue mobilization.
7. Ensuring the speedy enactment of the Municipal Finance Bill, initiated by the Kufuor-led NPP administration, into law.
8. The NPP will ensure the consolidation of all existing national sanitation policies, plans and programmes into a Comprehensive National Sanitation Programme and Action Plan.
9. The NPP will establish a National Sanitation Fund.